There’s a new version of 3ColumnK2 out, and it fixes — yes, fixes! — those annoying permission bugs. So now I’m going to stick with this and start styling the site.
Other than that, I got that plugin working that requires SOAP (thanks jrenken!), I haven’t gotten the one working that requires deep voodoo, and that’s about it. If I can think of anything else, I’ll add it.
Thanks for your interest in the site.
I really like 3 Column K2 as a style. But right now, he’s got it built upon some shaky code that causes permission problems in the admin space, and that has been driving me nuts. I’m tired of dealing with it, so I’m temporarily running the theme I like second best, which is called Cutline, while I try to debug what’s going on with 3 Column K2 (and what I need to change to fix it or hope the guy who built 3 Column K2 is going to release a newer version of it RSN. Anyway, I’m hacking on it, and I’ll get there. But in the meantime, things are going to get messy.
- Installed a plugin manager, only to find out that it need SOAP to work.
- Installed a neat plugin to work with MasterList, only to find out it requires deep voodoo (aka template hacking) to work. Have beat head against the WordPress template documentation, but am no closer to understanding. Am going to ask about it on the K2 forums.
- Reactivated Twitter plugin in sidebar
- Have finally gotten updates running on Hollowman, my desktop computer. Mistoffelees, my laptop, was much more compliant, but it was also more up to date.
- Added SMS feature. It’s at the bottom right sidebar under the LibraryThing stuff. DO NOT ABUSE THIS FEATURE.
I think that’s everything. It’s a bit of work. There will be more later, but right now I need to sleep.
Two days have gone by without an update, so let me enlighten those who might care.
Thursday was just kind of an off-day. Mom and I had to go to Costco, and then I had to cook dinner, and after that, I just felt like reading books all night long.
And then Friday morning, I woke up to this:
That’s my sister’s car, but the lack of sleep and the chaos that such an event caused required a lot of time to deal with, and now I am utterly fried.
So I am going to bed now. And I am going to sleep forever. Or something like that.
- added header image
- restyled LibraryThing plugin
- corrected an egregious grammar error in the sidebar
- Installed and deinstalled the Twitter plugin. (I’ll bring it back when the site gets more stable.)
- Got comments from Zibb and Kowh, w00t. And now I know how retstak.org will handle comments.
- Turned on the K2 asides option. (Twitter jitters is an aside. I think I may want to hack the restyling a bit.)
- Fixed Zibb’s comment flooding problem. (It’s an ugly hack, though.)
- Installed plugin to get around admin not being able to create categories. (Why does this bug even exist? Why?)
I think that’s everything. The big thing on tomorrow’s agenda is to port the “about retstak.org” page and redo the about page to point to the about me and about retstak.org pages. Also, I need to remember to put a Sandwich badge somewhere on the website, for we loves our sysadmin, we do.
temporarily disabled twitter plugin until the site is a little more stable.
- Got the sidebars mostly set, with feeds for my LJ and the NFZ in the sidebar.
- Installed plugins to show off my flickr photos and my LibraryThing books.
- Moved and edited slightly my About Me page.
- Wrote a small About box on the sidebar.
- Somehow fixed annoying RSS problem that was causing bad characters to display in the NFZ feed.
- Restyle the page so it’s not so boring.
- Port and/or create more content to fill the site
- Figure out how I want to handle links, because putting them all in the sidebar would be silly.
- Find something, anything, to write about on NFZ, or else it’s just going to sit there longer.
- Hope somebody’s done something about that right annoying “you don’t have permissions even if you’re an admin” category creation bug.
I think that’s about it. Also, could somebody (who isn’t me, but might be reading this) try to comment? I want to see what happens.
Ayup. I’ve gone to WordPress for the content management on my homepage. While I’m working, you can still navigate around the site using the old index page. I warn you, though, it’s horribly out of date.